* YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY! *

As college students, you and I are expected to pick up on dates, facts, notes, histories, and other "pertinent" information arriving to us from the classroom. Does all the factual information from our classes really make a difference? Being in college also gives us the opportunity to learn so many other aspects of ourselves and the world around us. It is here in my blog that I will explore compelling new facts and ideas each week that I have picked up and come to understand, and I will elaborate on the topic.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

You Gotta Get Over Your Fears


Spring break always presents an exciting time for me; it is the one chance a year I get to go skiing with my family and get a break from the turmoil of school life. Every year me, my two sisters and my parents spend a week at our house in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. This year was especially beautiful; predicted whether of low 40's...what more can you ask for!
As the week approached, i was burdened by the news that my oldest sister Rachel would not be attending. She has been in and out of rehab for the past three years and once again had relapsed, so my parents felt it best to not have her come. However this news did not put me down. I was still persistent on having a fantastic time on the slopes and totally letting loose everything that I have been holding in.
The first two slopes we did were beautiful; the sun was shining, I was wearing only two layers of clothes, and everyone was in high spirits...until my dad tricked me into going on a side trail to a different slope. As I approached, I saw a double black diamond sign with the title "Hurricane" under it glaring right at me. Don't get me wrong, I have done Blacks before; But as I had not skied in a year, I was very rusty and unprepared for such a challenge. Even worse, the slope was ungroomed, meaning that it was extremely bumpy with moguls all over it.
I took a deep breath, nodded my head and went on my way, taking my sweet time and trying my best to have fun and not be scared. This was followed my an immediate fall on my butt. My sister Andrea laughed at me, my dad stopped to help me, and I got up still in semi-high spirits. I continued on for a little bit, trying to maintain control. It was then that my skis were falling in front of me and I could not gain any balance what so ever. I fell forward on my head, and instead of stopping like the first time, I toppled and summersaulted 20 feet down the mountain, unable to stop myself because the slope was so steep.
Upon stopping, my immediate reaction was to cry. I had snow built up all inside of my clothes, in my hair, my poles were missing up the mountain, and I felt completely at a loss and out of control. I was truly scared.
The rest of the trip proved more unsuccessful than I had hoped. After my traumatizing fall, I could not gain back the fluidity and carelessness that had always led me to be such a good free-spirited skier. I was constantly cautious, I avoided all blacks, and I truly felt myself holding back from what I knew I could do. Even up to the last slope on my last day, I was not skiing nearly to my potential.
Frustrated with myself on my travels home, I realized that you cannot keep in your fears and let them take control over you. A part of life is getting over the things that scare you and letting yourself move on. I wish I had this realization earlier so I could have enjoyed skiing much more. In all aspects of my life that I hold back, I am going to try my hardest to let myself go and not worry about what could be if I do happen to fall.

3 comments:

  1. Good lesson learned, I guess, although fear is something not to be dismissed lightly. Another equally good lesson is the one involving touching a hot stove. Question is, what will you do next time you ski?

    But a nicely written mini essay. One grammar thing: in first para it should be "my two sisters, my parents, and I.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about not boarding at your potential. I have had plenty of not so pleasant falls while snowboarding and for days afterward I would be too scared to try anything else. But... When you head out next time all that confidence will come back to you! It may be bravado, but at least your trying to get better right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my first day on the slopes, too. The worst part was definitely getting all that snow stuck in your clothing after you fall. Don't worry though, it gets easier every time you go back. I think you'll really enjoy your next experience!

    ReplyDelete