* YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY! *

As college students, you and I are expected to pick up on dates, facts, notes, histories, and other "pertinent" information arriving to us from the classroom. Does all the factual information from our classes really make a difference? Being in college also gives us the opportunity to learn so many other aspects of ourselves and the world around us. It is here in my blog that I will explore compelling new facts and ideas each week that I have picked up and come to understand, and I will elaborate on the topic.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Israel is making robots.....for COMBAT?


As technological advancements are being made each day, I am consistently surprised at the new unique little gadgets that arrive. Even being able to touch the screen on my iPod to switch from song to song truly seems pretty outrageous. How about the fact that I can now drive from place to place with a male English accent telling me exactly where to go, while coming from a small little box hanging on my banister? Yet the one technological development that I learned of this week that caught me by surprise was a robot being developed by Israel- not to be sent in space or as a toy- but for combat!
According to MSNBC.com, “a robot snake with a camera and microphone in its head is the Israeli military's latest battlefield weapon”. This so called snake appears to be six feet long, covered by fabric in military colors and having joins that can go in different directions. The snake can even go over rocks and along the ground.
Another shocking report claimed that the “snake” may be used to carry a bomb to blow up militants or a building. So in that case, it could be considered a “suicide snake”. While this new advancement may seem quite fascinating and exciting, are we taking things too far? Is it really necessary to take the time and money to design a fake snake just for warfare and consequently possibly ending some lives?
I am nervous as what the future holds. Twenty years from now, whole entire wars can be fought out just between robots…can you imagine? We are just at the beginning of what could be a completely new revolution of technology that may in fact have detrimental effects that no one expected. For this society to really be successful, we need to lower the technology and reverse back to the way things were before our whole lives revolved around the Blackberry in front of us. As exciting as these new inventions may seem, who really knows what the future may hold.

2 comments:

  1. True. But technology is here to stay. We are living in yesterday's sci fi comic. And opting out proves difficult.

    An aside about your writing: Use shorter, simpler sentences. First para of this entry is pretty convoluted. Complex sentences are not necessary for complex ideas. Simple sentences will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robots will be the downfall of us all.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete